Holidaying Abroad

Knowing what to do if you are ill when on holiday abroad is essential. It’s something that you need to think about before you travel, and once you’ve done your research, you need to consider putting medical health insurance in place, and getting an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).

If you are ill on holiday and you have to have medical attention, it could cost you thousands of pounds; so knowing what to do if you are ill when on holiday abroad, and putting appropriate measures into place before you go, is key.

Taking out travel medical health insurance

Medical insurance will cover you for any medical emergency or illness when you are abroad. The most comprehensive insurance policies will give you cover for a value of £2 million worth of care, including things like getting you back to the UK by flying ambulance.

Depending on the type of medical health insurance you take out, you will probably be expected to pay for minor problems; for example paying say, £50 for a visit to a doctor. More significant bills will be covered.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Having an EHIC means that you will be entitled to state-funded medical treatment in the EEA (European Economic Area). Countries included in the EEA are:

  • EU countries
  • Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Your EHIC means that you should be entitled to either reduced cost, or free medical care, depending on the country you are visiting. It is advisable to have both and EHIC and travel health insurance, as some insurers may waive any excess charges if you do have an EHIC.

You can find out more about the EHIC, applying for one and establishing which countries it covers by clicking here.

What to do if you are ill when on holiday abroad – steps to take

If you want to know what to do if you are ill when on holiday abroad – it’s quite simple. If you have travel medical insurance in place, the first thing you need to do is to contact the insurance company. If you check your insurance policy document you should find a contact phone number to use.

Whatever you do, whether you use your medical insurance, your EHIC, or a combination of both, you need to make sure that you keep any bills and receipts.

The travel clinic – Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall

No one expects to be ill or have an accident when abroad, so make sure you do your research on the rules and regulations and how they apply to your country of destination first. If you live and /or work in London and you feel you need any further advice, visit the travel clinic webpage of Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall website, or call us on 020 7638 4330.