There are many different types of steroids that have a range of uses. While some steroids, called corticosteroids are used to help those who are suffering from inflammatory diseases, such as chronic bronchitis, there are also very harmful steroids that are illegal for personal use in UK. These are called anabolic steroids.
Often referred to as ‘roids’ or ‘juice’, this type of steroid is a synthetic form of testosterone. There are also some medical uses of using anabolic steroids, such as for encouraging puberty and helping to create muscle mass. So, what are steroids and what is the effect of them?
What Are Steroids?
Steroids are a type of drug that simulate the hormones in the body that control how the body develops. There are two different types of steroids and it is important not to confuse the two, as they have different effects. The first type of steroid is a catabolic corticosteroid, which works similarly to cortisol and helps to decrease inflammation and also help to treat diseases like asthma. The second group of anabolic steroids, on the other hand, are a synthetic form of testosterone and help to develop the male sex characteristics. Typically used by body builders and athletes, they help to enhance performance although many of the people that take steroids take from 10 to 100 times more than the recommended medical dose. Anabolic steroid can be bought illegally from many places within the UK, starting from 20£ for 100 tablets.
Effects of Anabolic Steroids
Those who use these steroids claim that they have many different effects. Some of these include:
- Making them able to train longer and harder
- Helping them to recover from strenuous exercise quicker
- Helping to build muscle mass
Negative effects can include:
- Making the drug user feel paranoid, aggressive and can cause mood swings.
- Shrunken testicles
What Are the Risks?
Anabolic steroids actually have a lot of different health risks and can do a lot of damage to your body as well as your mental health. Some of these risks involve:
- Anabolic steroids can mess up how your body develops and can stop you from growing properly.
- For males, it can lead to erectile dysfunction, growing of breasts, becoming sterile, losing hair and shrink testicles.
- For females, it can make you develop male characteristics, such as excessive facial hair, deeper voice, shrinking breasts, an enlarged clitoris and changes in your sex drive.
- Can give you high blood pressure, increase problems to do with liver failure, stroke or heart attacks and also increase the chances of death.
- You mental health is affected as well, with many users feeling paranoid, aggressive and even becoming violent.
- When injecting the drug, this can also have risks, such as damaging your veins, causing gangrene and ulcers.
- Sharing needles can help spread HIV, hepatitis C and many other injections.