Managing Heart Health
Managing your heart health is one of the most important things you should do. It can help to ensure you have along, healthy life. This is even more important given the pace and stress of modern life. Far too many people simply concentrate on their diets to manage their heart health, and whilst this is important, it is not enough. The fact of the matter is that most people aged 30, have the heart health of an older person. It means they are more prone to heart attack and stroke.
Private GP & Walk-In Centre London – Make An Appointment
The Foundation of Managing Your Heart Health
A low fat diet is the basis, of managing your heart health; but only the foundation. Low fat does not mean no fat. Some fat is essential for your health and well-being. Avoiding saturated fats is recommended, as is including sources of Omega 3 and 6 oils in your diet. These are found in fish and some vegetables.
A Healthy Well-Balanced Diet
• Fish – a good source of protein and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
• Poultry – a good source of protein
• Leafy green vegetables – good source of vitamins and minerals and fibre
• Beans and pulses – a good source of protein plus vitamins, minerals and fibre
• A moderate amount of starch and carbohydrate– Bread, potatoes and rice etc
• A moderate amount of dairy or dairy substitutes – choose low fat dairy or dairy substitutes
• Little or no sugar
• No more than the recommended amount of salt per day
• Drink plenty of fluids
Consuming this type of diet helps you to manage your weight and avoid obesity, one of the major contributors to heart attack and stroke.
Complete Your Heart Health Regime
With a healthy well-balanced diet as the foundation for managing your heart health, your regime must also include:
• Regular aerobic exercise – cycling, jogging, swimming or walking – this will help to raise your body’s metabolic rate – essential for weight management
• Avoid stress or learn how to manage it
• Don’t drink more than the prescribed units of alcohol per week, or avoid it altogether
• Don’t smoke, or give it up if you do
Managing your heart health also means keeping tabs on it to ensure there are no problems. You should have your blood pressure and cholesterol levels measured regularly.
Heart Clinic in London
The walk-in well-man and well-woman clinic that we operate here at Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall are a convenient way of keeping tabs on your heart health. You can call in whenever you’re passing by for heart targeted health screening. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can telephone ahead and make a same-day (or later appointment) by calling 020 7638 4330.