Raisins

A lot of people tend to think of raisins as being a healthy snack, where they are considered to be great little sweet morsels that are so much better than commercial sweets. But we here at Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall would like bring certain facts to your attention that might change your mind.

The problem with raisins (and other dried fruits too) is that they contain a lot of natural sugar (as much as many commercial sweets) and they have a tendency to stick to teeth and gums. So, are they really as healthy as some parents make out? Ask your dentist, and you might not get the answer you expect.

Misled by being rich in vitamins – but sugar is the danger

Raisins are considered by many people to be healthy snacks that are full of vitamins, and they are not wrong.

A small packet of raisins actually contains approximately 8 teaspoons of sugar.

Their consistency adds to the problem

It’s not just the sugar that is a problem, but also the consistency. Because they are soft and sticky, they get stuck to your teeth, giving the cavity creating bacteria a prolonged source of sugar on which to feed.

The simple truth is that tooth decay has become the number one cause of hospital admissions for young people here in the UK. Over 500 people of primary age require hospital treatment each and every week. Dried fruits, of all kinds, are seen by dentists as being one of the prime causes of tooth decay in our youngsters.

Include raisins in main meals

However, because of the high nutritional value, dried fruits should not be completely omitted from a young person’s diet. Dentists agree that making dried fruits a part of a main meal, but not as an in between meal snack, is the correct thing to do. In this way people can still enjoy their sweetness, and have the benefit of the vitamins that they contain, without endangering the health of their teeth, as long as they maintain their twice per brushing and flossing routines.