How long STI treatment normally takes depends of the type and progression of the infection. The cause of the STI is another important factor to take into consideration. Basically there are three causes.
The STIs that can be completely cured are those caused by bacterial and parasitical infections. Viral infections cannot. They can however, be treated. Whatever the cause of an STI, it can be either cured or treated at the STI treatment London Wall based clinic operated by Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall.
How long STI treatment normally takes for bacterial infections
Some genital bacterial infections are not STIs in the true sense. However, one of them, bacterial Vaginitis, can lead to other specific STIs. Here is a brief summary of the types of STIs, how they are treated and how long the treatment takes.
- Chlamydia is caused by the Chlamydia Trachomatis bacterium and is treated via antibiotics. Some of the antibiotics are taken for just one day, and others over a period of 7 to 10 days.
- Gonorrhoea is caused by the Neisseria gonorrhoea bacterium. It can be treated in one day with a single injection, or over 7 to 10 days via a course of antibiotics
- Pelvic inflammatory disease is caused by several different types of bacteria. Where abscesses form, these must be drained. After draining, a course of antibiotics has to be taken for at least 2 weeks.
- Syphilis is caused by an organism that also bears the characteristics of a parasite. This disease is normally treated with a single injection of penicillin.
How long STI treatment normally takes for viral infections
Viral infections cannot be cured, as previously mentioned. Some can however be successfully managed with medical treatment.
- Hepatitis B is caused by the Hepatitis B virus. It can be treated with oral medication or with injections. Treatment for Chronic Hepatitis B treatment maybe life-long. Once caught it is incurable. An effective vaccination is available to prevent infection.
- HIV can be effectively managed for life with a cocktail of three or four medications.
- Herpes is caused by the Herpes Simplex virus. Anti-viral medication us the recommended treatment. Frequent outbreaks can be prevented when medication is taken daily.
- HPV is caused by the Human Papilloma virus. It is also sometimes referred to as the genital warts virus. Treatment is via creams, plus liquid nitrogen to freeze the warts. There is no cure for HPV. However, a preventative vaccine now exists. Only school girls are included in the national vaccination program.
Treatment for Parasitical STIs
Parasites are minute bugs that live on or in our bodies. There are 5 main groups of parasitic STDs/STIs. They are Intestinal; Pubic Lice; Scabies, Trichomoniasis, and Vaginitis. Some can be cured with over-the-counter medication. Others require prescriptive medication.
Vaginitis is the odd one out in as much as it can be caused by several things; bacteria, parasites, viruses and yeasts.
Where to get the best private STI treatment London has to offer
Now you know how long STI treatment normally takes for the most common STIs. The next thing to consider is where to get treated.
Do you require STI treatment London – whether for STIs caused by bacteria, parasites or viruses: If you do, for maximum convenience, discretion and confidentiality you can us the walk-in STI clinic we operate here at Broadgate GP Clinic London Wall